10 Books That Do Contemporary Proud

Saturday, January 10, 2015


There was a time when I feared the contemporary genre. I'm not sure whether I expected it to kill me or eat my soul, but I guess I just preferred a less realistic take when it came to my books. I'm also sure most of you can relate.

 I'm glad I started indulging in the genre. Contemporary is now like my dessert, perfect to top off with more complex genres, as one might say.


So I've picked out 10 of my favorite contemporary novels, because hey, lists.

The covers should lead you to the GoodReads page.

     

1. Apple and Rain 
by Sarah Crossan  
 I finished reading this just a few days ago, and I'm so glad I decided to read it. The characters, the storytelling, everything was just about perfection. The main character was extremely easy to relate to, which was a plus point.

2. Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe 
by Benjamin Alire Sáenz
Another lovely novel that stands out, not only because of that lengthy title. If you don't know the story of Ari and Dante, my question is: Why haven't you read it yet?!

3. If I Stay (If I Stay #1)
by Gayle Forman
This one hit me right in the feelings.  It's amazing how the author executed it in a way that was still realistic, despite the circumstances.

4. The Distance Between Us 
by Kasie West
No contemporary list could be complete without a Kasie West book in it, am I right? 


   


5. Stargirl (Stargirl #1)
by Jerry Spinelli
One of the first few books that I read before I started reading meticulously. This is also one of the few books I bothered to reread, and I'm happy to say my feelings didn't really change. I adore it.

6. Paper Towns 
by John Green
A wonderful, quotable, fabulous story.

7. Wonder 
by R.J. Palacio
I talk about this book in many of the posts I do. If you still haven't met Auggie, I cannot recommend this hard enough. 

8. Aspen 
by Rebekah Crane
A hidden gem, this one. I had a few problems but in the end, the quibbles were minor compared to everything else.

    
9. On The Fence
by Kasie West
Another Kasie West book, of course. Light and fun, On The Fence was one of the sweetest reads of 2014 for me. 

10. Looking for Alaska
by John Green
After this, I'm not sure I trust John Green to not break my heart with every single book of his. And yes, this obviously means you should read it.

Before I hunt you down and nicely recommend it again.

Which of these books have you read? Which ones do you want to read?
Share all!